Mom, Mommy, Mama…Happy Mother’s Day
To everyone called Mom, Mommy, Mother, Mama, Bonus Mama, and Ma (as my 3 year old likes to call me like she’s part of the Jersey Shore cast or something), this one is for you.
Here you will find local food spots, tasty treats, and fun filled places to celebrate that special one this and every Mother’s Day.
Let’s start with food because A. No one wants the where do you want to eat/I don’t know, where do you want to eat, argument on Mother’s Day, B. One of her favorite gifts for Mother’s Day would be to not have to make all the plans and decisions, C. She doesn’t want to do the dishes and D. When she says she will be happy anywhere, she means it. As long as she is surrounded by her family, she is exactly where she wants to be…Except in the bathroom.
- Satterfield’s is offering Mother’s Day specials including Chicken Scallopini, Salmon Croquettes, and personally my heart is set on the Pork Tenderloin served with brussel sprouts and sweet potato hash. Mouth watering yet? We still have 9 more spots to go.
- BrickTop’s is a family favorite for a few reasons: They literally have something on the menu for everyone from prime rub to sushi and this year they will be featuring their dinner menu all day with brunch options available from 10 AM – 1 PM. Also, if you don’t get The Chocolate Chip before you leave, you have missed the opportunity for her to tell you, “This was the best Mother’s Day ever!”
- Chuck’s Fish specials have me reeling, pun totally intended. Braised short ribs with crawfish polenta, chargrilled filet with jumbo lump crab, seafood copping, and baked oysters are just a few that top the list for me. You won’t be disappointed with any of the delicious choices offered up here.
- Daniel George is a gem I admit I had never heard of until recently, but y’all, when I say get here, I mean, “GET HERE,” in my best Mom voice. The grilled flank steak is absolute perfection! Also, I’ve been told the buttermilk fried chicken and shrimp and grits are both top notch dishes. And you want the brownie a la mode, trust me. There’s also a strawberry key lime tart if she’d rather not have chocolate.
- We reserved spot 5 to talk about FIVE bar because us Mama’s are always planning. Full brunch menu, $20 mimosa pitchers, and live music, what else could she ask for?
- The Yard is another awesome spot offering up Mother’s Day brunch. Tucked inside the Elyton Hotel downtown is a menu boasting the most delicious breakfast and lunch items from made to order omelets to prime rib. Call 205.226.9298 to make reservations.
- Sol y Luna is raising a glass to all of our favorite Taco Mamas in the Ham by serving a full brunch and dinner menu from 11 AM – 3 PM. Tomatillo Lobster soft taco, Roasted Garlic Sweet Mashed Potatoes, Empanadas Surtidas, and the Chicken Chilaquiles are just a few of my favorites. All she wants is for you to feed her Mexican and tell her she’s pretty anyway.
- If you want to give her the gift of great food, excellent service, and an unbelievable atmosphere then you need to grab some seats at Bottega. They offer Italian Cuisine in a casual but upscale setting. Salmon, Chicken, Rabbit, Duck, there is not a dish on the menu that is anything less than divine.
- While we’re talking casual, Italian, and superb, let’s add Joe’s Italian to the list of places to visit. Every dish I’ve ever had has been phenomenal but my favorites are Lasagna Bianca, Eggplant Parmigiana, and Lobster Ravioli when they have it. Also, if you’ve never had their cake be sure to grab a slice…And 4-6 forks. The strawberry is my personal favorite and now I’m not sure I can wait until Mother’s Day for my fix.
- Last on our list is a fun Mother’s Day tradition from our friends at Full Moon BBQ. Not only can you get amazing food and yummy desserts, but they also gift a rose to the Mom’s dining in. Isn’t that even sweeter than their tea?
Rumor has it, that calories don’t count on Mother’s Day and the only thing even half as sweet as our wonderful Mom’s are these local treats.
- Farrelly’s Moscato cupcakes…I don’t even know if I need to say anything else. They’re that good! They also have Mother’s Day specials if you want to dine there and then grab dessert. You do need reservations…And Moscato Cupcakes.
- Bendy’s Cookies and Cream. Everything you need to know is in the name itself. Wonderful owners, amazing cookies, and phenomenal ice cream all in 1 place. My favorite treat here is the cookie butter ice cream sandwiches with snickerdoodle cookies. There are so many options though and I mean it when I say, you can’t go wrong.
- Crumbl Cookies in Vestavia has a rotating weekly menu of the “World’s best cookies.”The famous Milk Chocolate Chip is always available but there are 4-5 specialty flavors each week as well. Also, I was unaware there was ice cream but apparently it’s true. I can’t think of anything better unless they’re able to remove all of the calories.
- Bertolone’s is home to my all time favorite Strawberry cake. Order a slice and be sure to bring some people who came prepared to share it because a “slice” is about the size of a whole cake. The tiramisu and salted caramel are also phenomenal.
- Big Spoon Creamery is an artisian ice cream company that uses local farmers and offers decadent seasonal flavors. We have loved this company from day 1 when they were delivering flavors monthly as a subscription to now having 2 locations (1 in Avondale and 1 in Homewood). Ice cream, Sammies, and Sundays just taste better here. Also, if mom is vegan, there is a milkshake here just for her.
- Edgar’s is a one stop shop of deliciousness…Coffee, breakfast, lunch, dessert, the list goes on and on. Take mom to grab coffee and breakfast and beat the Mother’s Day lunch crowd. Take mom after lunch to come in and pick out a fabulous dessert, handcrafted with nothing but love from someone, even if it wasn’t by you. Stop by and pick up desserts or a tin of cinnamon rolls and surprise her with some yummy goodies and coffee. She will smile just seeing you. Of course, holding the Edgar’s bag helps too.
- The Spun Cow because mom just wants everyone to be happy. With 50 rotating cotton candy flavors and decadent ice cream, floats, and shakes to choose from, there is truly something for everyone. 4 words…Pina Colada Cotton Candy. Need I say more?
- Say I love you with Cookie Dough Magic. Edible cookie dough that you can have delivered to mom or make a trip to Avondale, Trussville, or Huntsville and let her pick her own sweet treat. Choose from 12 amazing flavors and even safe for those moms to be as well.
- Fleming’s is a wonderful dining option but if you’re like me, there’s never room for dessert after my meal there. Maybe take mom in for just desserts. My recommendations are the white chocolate bread pudding cheesecake or the walnut turtle pie.
- K&J’s…Home of elegant pastries and extravagant milkshakes. Mom will thoroughly enjoy this stop because she knows everyone will have to come join her just to finish 1 shake. “Kolossal Milkshakes” = Kolossal Time.
- Cakes by Elise is a local favorite!!! Her strawberry cakes and cupcakes are amazing!!!
Gifts are wonderful but I’ll fill you in on a little secret. What most mamas genuinely desire is a clean house and time with their families…In no particular order. Instead of wrapping her a gift, share fun experiences with her, do something special for her, just show her that she’s loved and appreciated.
- Paddywax Candle Bar just makes “scents.” These gifts are thoughtful, inexpensive, and versatile. Pick your scent, pick your vessel, pour, enjoy a wonderful burn life, and repurpose as a pencil cup, cereal bowl, cream and sugar set, succulent planter, or my personal favorite, a margarita glass. You can purchase one already hand poured or you can enjoy a day making candles with mom.
- Birmingham Botanical Gardens always ranks high on my list of things to do. Make a picnic for mom, go on an afternoon stroll, hire a photographer (Amy P Photography can be contacted for all of your photography needs) to capture some sweet moments surrounded by the most perfect scenery.
- Ozan Vineyards and Winery is always a fun stop. You can reserve a shaded outdoor table for the ultimate Tuscan experience, tour the winery, or even enjoy a picturesque train ride to and from the vineyards. Make sure to try the Chilton County Peach and the Shelby Blanc Scuppernong.
- Invite her to tea. Lillie’s Cup located at Arlington Historic House and Gardens is hosting a Mother’s Day tea Sunday May 8th from 2 PM-4 PM. Tickets include a tea experience with a variety of delicious loose leaf teas, a superb selection of savory treats and sweets, and an overall perfect afternoon with mom. Pinky up.
- Don’t just buy her flowers, let her pick flowers. Go tulip picking in Montevallo. Take her to the Market at Pepper Place where you’ll find an assortment of fresh flowers to choose from. Support any of your local roadside fruit stands who typically have a wide variety of plants and flowers to choose from. She will enjoy the experience more than the flowers guaranteed.
- Cat-N-Bird winery is truly a hidden gem. There isn’t an onsite vineyard here but they import grapes and juices from all around the world before starting the fermentation process until they are ready to bottle, cork, label, and serve it to you. Because of the boutique style production of these wonderful hand made bottles, new wines are introduced and retired every month. Make a trip to Chelsea and enjoy a flight, cheese boards, and even wine slushies.
- Pamper her. Moms are often so busy taking care of others that they neglect themselves. Gift cards to nail salons, hair salons, boutiques, or massages, and facials are all a real treat to allow mom to indulge in a little self care so she can feel refreshed and renewed.
- Is Mama a sports fan? The Barons will be playing the Smokies at home on Mother’s Day. Yummy food, amazing drinks, and America’s favorite pastime with her family hits it out of the park for sure.
- For me, personally, I love sentimental items. Homemade cards, crafts, and breakfast in bed will pretty much guarantee my Mama heart is happy. Throw in some coffee and the smile may never leave my face. It doesn’t have to cost much of anything. Also dollar general sells plain white coffee mugs and pinterest has so many cool hacks about using sharpies to have your kiddos make a custom mug she can keep forever.
- Surprise her with a Mommy and Me photo session she will cherish forever. Often times, moms are found behind the camera but she would love to be included in the memories as well. Have we mentioned that Amy P Photography is top notch? Contact her to book a session or send a gift card for a future session. She’ll be sure to love this one for years to come. Check out this blog post of some photos she did for me and my little one!
Hope you check out some of these local spots and hope you enjoy your Mom’s on this wonderful Mother’s Day weekend. Also, my Mama doesn’t care for traditional sweet treats so I just wanted to take a second to say, you are the most amazing example of what a Mother should be, you have always been so selfless and giving of yourself in every way, I strive to be like you more than you know, I respect you (way more now that when I was 19), I appreciate you, and I love you more than words could say. Wishing you all the happiest of Mother’s Days. -Rusti
Amy P Photography
Birmingham Newborn & Family Photographer My studio is located in Fultondale, Alabama
firstname.lastname@example.org | 205.540.0224
Amy P Photography offers custom newborn portraiture to all Birmingham, and surrounding areas
Maternity, Newborn and Family sessions are also available!
Bookings are limited per month, advanced scheduling is advised to guarantee your baby’s session.
Please contact me today for more information and to book your session!