Did you say … DATE NIGHT?
It’s no secret that July is hot but we’re about to make it even hotter.
Get ready for some fun filled date night spots guaranteed to spice up your life…And your tastebuds. Since we’re talking spices, we’ll address hot food spots (and nearby sweets for your sweet) first, but be sure to keep scrolling for great drinks and fun activities as well.
- Take a trip to Trussville and visit Ferus Artisian Ales. Come for the beer, stay for the food, and enjoy the environment in the Trussville Entertainment District. Ferus is surrounded by an open courtyard connected to several other restaurants including Mexicali Blues and Pinchgut Pies. The focal point of this area is a 27 foot wide LED video wall/stage. This area can be used year-round for family movie nights, concert simulcasts, and sporting events. They will also be hosting city events and larger concerts/performances so be sure to check out that schedule. This space is so open and perfect, allowing you and your hot date to enjoy some drinks and some yummy food and just walk to the other side of the space for desserts at Cookie Dough Magic. Fun fact: Cookie Dough Magic also offers decadent coffees if you’re not ready for the date to end.
- Looking for something delicious, romantic, and low-key? I’ve got you covered. The Homewood/Soho area is home to so many amazingly wonderful eateries but my perfect date night in Birmingham is anywhere with my husband (obviously) as well as De Vinci’s, Edgars Bakery, and a trip up the hill to the Vulcan. Does it really get much better than that? Italian food next door to a delicious bakery and watching the sunset or stargazing from such an iconic Birmingham landmark. If Italian isn’t your thing A. this isn’t going to work out 😉 and B. There are so many other food options in this location including: Soho Social, Real and Rosemary, Little Donkey, and Rodney Scott’s BBQ. Cookie Fix and Hero’s Donuts are also just a quick stroll away if you want to try an assortment of yummy goodies.
- Outdoor dates require a little more creativity and planning but there are so many great spots here that would be perfect for this. Pack a picnic basket or pick up some food to go and go to Railroad Park, walk around, bring a blanket and enjoy dining al fresca. Afterwards drive towards Pepper Place and enjoy a drink at the Lumbar or stop by Jeni’s splendid ice creams for a real sweet treat. Birmingham Botanical Gardens also offers so many wonderful areas for you and your loved one to have a seat and enjoy the scenery. The perfect day date spot and if it leaves you feeling like a kid for just basking in the sun all day then drive a few blocks over to Sugar to fill up bags while enjoying the nostalgia of a real old school candy store.
- I don’t know about y’all but I think breakfast dates should be a thing. If you’re interested in helping me trend set, I have a few fun ideas. Back to Soho we go for a stop at Big Bad Breakfast and coffee at O’Henry’s. Or you could swing by Bullet coffee on 280 before enjoying the BBB location on that side of town. I think my favorite breakfast date spot would have to be the Ruby Sunshine in Homewood and be sure to get the vanilla spiced latte for a quick pick me up. Another favorite is the original pancake house downtown but the wait is always long so be sure to get there early and bring your own coffee.
- This is on my date night list so we haven’t tried these spots yet, but we were in Jasper for Christmas pictures about a year ago (also make sure you visit and follow Amy P Photography to book your Christmas sessions soon) and came across the coolest little town square area filled with bars and restaurants. There are so many we want to try. The Pie Factory (we happen to have it on good authority that it’s phenomenal since my husband is from Florence where their first location took off), Black Rock Bistro, and Warehouse 319 all had superb menus. As we were riding by and looking at menus we also stumbled across Jasper Axe House for a night of fun filled axe throwing where I’m sure my husband and I will get too competitive and stay too long.
- Leeds, Alabama. Now known for the infamous Buc-ee’s. Take your date to Buc-ee’s if they want to go some place that breaks the bank. Kidding, you know, since gas is expensive. Anyway…Leeds is also home to the Outlet Shoppes of Grand River which can always be a fun filled chill date spot. If 16 year olds can make malls/shoppes date spots then so can you. And you can actually afford to buy him/her something…Unless you really did have to stop at Buc-ee’s. I’m not familiar with many dining options in Leeds but you could make the food court a fun time trying all your/their favorites from every restaurant. When you’ve reached your limit on junk food, grab a box of candy, and head to Grand River drive in and check out some cool new movies at the drive-in movie theatre with new features weekly, as well as a mini golf course and yard games. Sounds pretty perfect to me.
Pre dinner drinks, post dinner drinks, meeting just for drinks, whatever is on tap for you and your date, we’ve got you covered with some of the coolest watering holes in Birmingham.
- Cayo Coco Rum Bar & Restaurante is hands down one of my top picks in downtown Birmingham. Ambiance, service, food, and drinks are all amazing and will leave you feeling transported straight into Latin culture from the second you walk in (or enjoy the beautiful seating and scenery outdoors). Also, there’s a cocktail called The Zombie, the 1930’s version actually contains absinthe (warning: limit 2 per customer) and it has a sweet citrus pomegranate flavor combo that’s infused with spices and basically tastes like Cuba in a cup. You’re welcome. Also National Rum Day is coming up on August 16th so walk don’t rum…I mean run.
- Vibes on vibes on vibes at Paper Doll. Whiskey flights, tequila flights, miss your flights after a night here. This space will literally have you feeling like you’re right in the middle of NYC. Nassau Punch and Winter Break are my 2 favorite drink options if you like rum, cinnamon, and sweet. They also offer a really cool Old Fashioned menu for the gentleman who don’t prefer drinks that need mini umbrellas. The overall atmosphere here is very inviting.
- And what could be more appropriate for a local drink favorite than The Southern Kitchen & Bar? Local draft beer, food, wine, food, cocktails, did we mention food? Strawberry Fields, Birmingham Belle, and Georgia Peach are all fantastic! Also the rooftop bar area is spectacular.
- The Margaret is very New Orleans, voodoo esque with tarot card paintings and red curtains and skulls on display. It’s just very warm and eclectic. My favorite drink of choice here is the Strawberry Smash but this drink menu might be straight out of NOLA in the best way possible.
- The Roof at the Redmond Hotel is one of my favorite bars in Birmingham for a few reasons. The first, being that this was where my husband and I stayed after we got married and we genuinely had the best time. The second is that the rooftop bar is clearly what this space is named for so you know it has to be good. Lastly, the drink menu here is basic but above par if that makes sense. They have your standard beers, a great selection of local favorites, wines, and liquors along with 4-5 go to cocktails. Simple, not overwhelming, and everything is made to perfection. This spot is perfect for a late night cap to end a perfect date night evening.
- Elyton Hotel is also home to another rooftop bar in the same area called Moon Shine. Playful energy meets southern charm here with stunning roof top views. The Black and Blue cocktail infuses blackberry moonshine with with triple sec, lime, and blueberry compote for a drink that will have you having the best date experience, even if you’re not having the best date experience. Moon Shine was also named Best Bar of 2021 but my favorite thing about this spot isn’t drinks or views (although both are amazing) it’s actually the dessert. Order the Whoopie Pie…It’s essentially a homemade oatmeal creme pie that puts Little Debbie to shame.
Amy P Photography
Birmingham Newborn & Family Photographer
My studio is located in Fultondale, Alabama (see the space)
email@example.com | 205.540.0224
Amy P Photography offers custom newborn portraiture to all Birmingham, and surrounding areas Maternity, Newborn and Family sessions are also available!
Bookings are limited per month, advanced scheduling is advised to guarantee your baby’s session.
Please contact me today for more information and to book your session!