April is for Food, Outfits, Photos, & Eggs!
Ready to become an Easter eggs-pert?
Come hop right in…From foods everyone will enjoy to coordinating your families Easter attire and even how-to tips to take pictures like a pro, follow these eggs-amples for all things Easter. And brace yourself because I just don’t carrot all how many Easter puns is too many Easter puns.
What’s better than a brand new outfit?
Let’s get some photo pointers from the best….
- Use burst mode. This is really great for those summertime sports and activities where everyone seems to be running around nonstop. You’re never really sure if you’ll press the button and freeze time exactly when you wanted to but burst allows you to quickly take multiple pictures ensuring that 1 of them is bound to be picture perfect.
- The rule of thirds is important. Instead of putting every object/person you shoot in the center of the frame, try to create a more dynamic and interesting composition using the rule of thirds. Imagine a tic tac toe board and place your subject at the intersection of one of those lines. Our eye’s naturally gravitate to those points more so than the center of the shot. And most phones these days offer a photo grid that shows up on the screen to help you do this actively or even after, when cropping your pictures.
- Get in close. You want to shoot pictures that leave people feeling like they are IN the action and not just looking at it. You have to get in close and on their level to achieve this but again, super easy to do. I think often, people forget that our kiddos are tiny miniature humans so we tend to shoot downwards. If you simply squat down and fill the frame from that angle, the entire perspective changes.
- Bye bye flash. 90% of photos don’t require a flash first of all. Secondly, the flash on cell phones is about as useful as a rolodex in 2022. Most phones have the default flash setting to auto but you can change this by clicking the little icon that looks like lightning bolt and selecting off. You can always repeat and change it back if there’s a situation requiring a flash such as, outdoors during a sunset to capture silhouettes or inside dim buildings with minimal window lighting. Bonus tip: Our eyes are naturally drawn to the lightest part of an image. Work to make the subject either the brightest spot in the photo or highlighted by it in some way.
- Editing. Even if your picture is great to begin with, putting final touches on the lighting and exposure just gives it a little more of a professional vibe. Everyone and their Mama (except my Mama) has Instagram and with it comes all the filters you know and love. You can use a filter as is, or you can even tweak them based on your liking and preferences as well. And it’s FREE! Snapped is another mobile editor suggested often but I am not super familiar with this one. My personal favorite is Lightroom. There is a free version that has a large amount of functionality included but you can upgrade and pay for storage and additional features. I am also big on buying templates and filters to use but that is all just optional.
Outfit? Check. Pictures? Check. Now they can eat real food without fear of messing up their Easter clothes you worked so hard to coordinate.
We have a few Easter favorites at our house every year like deviled eggs, ham, and potato salad but the Easter snacks is what everybunny really lives for, am I right? I have linked 6 of our favorite easy Easter snacks below.
- Haystacks are a must in our house and they’re no bake which is even better. You can also do this with rice krispy treats and just mold the nests for anyone with a peanut butter allergy. https://thenovicechefblog.
- Bunny bait is the perfect combination of salty and sweet. Also you only need about 5 ingredients to make everyone “hoppy” which is a win for moms everywhere. https://www.
- Peanut Butter balls are a tradition at our house for pretty much any and every celebration. Minimal ingredients, not a high level of difficulty in the preparation department, and the kiddos love to help too. https://sugarapron.com/
- Peep this next 2 ingredient (less than 15 minute) recipe for Peep Smores Dip. Combine with animal crackers or graham crackers and any combination/colors of Peeps you choose. https://
kitchenfunwithmy3sons.com/ peeps-smores-dip-2- ingredients/
- Easter Bunny Cinnamon rolls…Simple, quick, canned, cheap, and kiddo friendly. What more can you ask of the Easter bunny? https://www.
sweetandsavoryfood.com/2021/ 03/easter-bunny-cinnamon- rolls-using.html
- Because everyone knows there will be way too many sweet treats and candy on Easter so let’s put the cute in charCUTErie with this easy and healthy (shhhh…) snack board. You can also buy Easter cookie cutters from Amazon for less than you pay for Easter candy. https://www.freutcake.
EGGS!! EGGS!! Bring on the eggs!
Last on the agenda is what’s “hopping” locally this Easter season. Everyone is “dyeing” to know about all of the egg hunts and specials so here are just a few we can’t wait to check out.
- Sunday April 3rd, UAB is hosting a dragon egg hunt with all kinds of activities including face painting, inflatables, games, and giveaways. 2 big things to note, there will be food trucks and it’s FREE.
- Saturday April 16th, Join Cultivate Church as thousands of candy and toy-filled Easter eggs fall from a helicopter! This is a fun, FREE day with candy, bouncy houses, food, designated sensory area, the Easter Bunny, and so much more! The gates will open at 9am and the egg hunt for ages 0-3 will begin at 10:30am.
- Saturday April 16th, Oak Mountain State Park will be having an Easter egg hunt and get this, even your pups are welcome and have their own hunt. Standard park entrance fees apply.
Check out some fun Easter crafts too! These will make you so Hoppy! CRAFTS
Wishing everyone an egg-cellent Easter and hoping you found these tips and links helpful.
Amy P Photography
Birmingham Newborn & Family Photographer My studio is located in Fultondale, Alabama
Amy P Photography offers custom newborn portraiture to all Birmingham, and surrounding areas
Maternity, Newborn and Family sessions are also available!
Bookings are limited per month, advanced scheduling is advised to guarantee your baby’s session.
Please contact me today for more information and to book your session!