Local Activities to do with your Child
Are you looking for ways to make your summer fun?
For our most recent Topic Tuesday, we asked you all to list your favorite local activities that you love doing with your child. We have now compiled an amazing list for everyone to make this summer the best summer yet. Consider this list your “Summer Fun Cheat Sheet” : )
- Reading Programs at your local library – often times, these programs are free with lots of fun activities for your child. Even if your child is too young to read, your local library has toddler classes and you could check books for your little one and read to them. Also, most libraries have a Book Club for parents. Be sure to check out your local library to see what they offer.
- Summer Movies – Regal Entertainment Group has Summer Movie Express going on this summer. There is a schedule of certain movies that are only $1! That’s a great deal.
- Coyote Drive-In Movie – Located in Leeds, Alabama. This is a really cool experience for a relaxed setting to watch a movie or two – your own car. They offer concessions and have an outdoor patio area. And they are even opening a miniature golf course in July.
- McWane Center – This is one of Birmingham’s most popular place to take your children. They are various areas for all ages. With 4 levels of fun, you and your child will definitely find something adventurous to do. And do not forget about the IMAX theatre.
- Birmingham Zoo – This is another popular place to take your child. With over approximately 950 animals from many continents, including many endangered species nestled on 122 acres, you will definitely find lots of fun things to do. There is a train, a camel ride, a zip line and many activities throughout the day that are so exciting to see. Be sure to check out their website!
- Splash Pads – There are a few splash pads in and around Birmingham – Gardendale, Cullman, Midfield & Trussville. These are free and a great way to beat the heat!
- Local Farmer’s Market – This is a great family outing and there are so many farmer’s markets that we can not possibly list them all. But a quick google search will direct you in the right direction. Pepper Place is one of the largest Farmer’s Market in Birmingham. It is the place to be every Saturday morning.
- Moss Rock Preserve – Nestled in Hoover, AL, this 349 acre nature preserve consists of forests, streams, waterfalls, wildlife, and other unique natural features. So much adventurous fun!
- Turkey Creek – Located in Pinson, AL, this is a beautiful 446 acre preserve. Perfect for hiking. swimming. fishing. biking. and exploring.
- Local Ice Cream Eateries – Who doesn’t love ice cream?!?! Google local ice cream eateries for a delicious way to cool off with a yummy treat.
- Spring Valley Beach – Located in Blountsville, Spring Valley Beach is one of the coolest water parks! This is 25 acres of pure water fun – 10 thrilling water slides, the Southeast’s largest pool, and a huge kids water playground. This is a summer must!
- Red Mountain Park – 1,500 acres of land along the Red Mountain Ridge in Birmingham. With over 15 miles of trails featuring 2 city overlooks, 3 tree houses, the 6-acre off-leash Remy’s Dog Park, and adventures like the Vulcan Materials Zip Trip and Kaul Adventure Tower. But this is only the beginning. This is a definite must on our list to do this summer.
- Birmingham Museum of Art – Not just for art lovers, the Birmingham Museum has something for every one of all ages. Admission is free and there is a hands on area for the little ones.
- Children Cooking Classes – For your little budding chef, a few places – Little Savannah, Williams- Sonoma and Sur La Table – are offering cooking classes for children.
- Vulcan Park and Museum – Everyone who has been near Birmingham has seen our Vulcan, he has overlooked Alabama’s largest city from atop Red Mountain since the 1930s. This is a necessity for anyone – going up to the deck and seeing all of Birmingham, in its beauty!